Sunday, October 7, 2012

No More Philly Trash Talk

A view of Independence Hall.
A business trip in September took me to Philadelphia, home of brotherly love and sisterly affection. And while the people are nice, what I immediately noticed is the town didn't smell. The raunchy memory stems from the last time I was there in 1986. My family and I took a vacation to Washington D.C. and the birthplace of democracy. It was a great trip, but what we didn't realize until we were there is that Philadelphia was going through some major city issues that resulted in an 18-day trash strike. In other words, trash was piled up everywhere. In the streets. In the alleys. In the parks. Everywhere. As we saw the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence was signed, there was a stench. Imagine, being nine-years old and soaking up all that history, but all you're really concentrating on was holding your nose and not breathing. That was me.
Pat's King of Steaks with mushrooms.

Going back for the second time in more than 25 years, I was nervous for my nose's sake. My hotel was within walking distance of many of the historical sites. So, during my free time, I ventured out to see the town and thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised by what I smelled and saw.

Philadelphia smelled good. The city has taken major strides to preserve and protect the relics of our country's path to freedom. The Liberty Bell is now enclosed in a beautiful building and tells the story of how the bell's crack came to be. It was also interesting to learn how the bell has been used for groups of people throughout history as a mascot for their cause. I walked across the street to the Visitor's Center, where free tour tickets were available to tour Independence Hall. It was nice to be reminded of how hard our forefathers fought for us to have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Plus, a bonus, no trash. Rather, lush grass and people like me, who love to learn about the past.

If you're going to visit Philly, you must infuse yourself i the culture, so I enjoyed an authentic cheese steak sandwich from both Pat's and Geno's, the competing eateries just happen to be right across the street from each other. I also drank in the atmosphere at some local pubs and ran up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art like Rocky. And even better, I ran on the bike trail nearby that takes you along Boathouse Row.

My three-day trip has replaced my memories of Philly. I no longer think how trashy and smelly the town is, rather how wonderful it is that they're preserving history for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment