Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Princess Room

My friends have coined my bedroom the "princess room" for obvious reasons. The walls are painted a light purple & the duvet is a super cute PBteen design that I absolutely love. And I do have a half dozen Cinderella figurines prominently displayed.


In the past, my friends thought it was funny to bring up the topic at the bar and then guys would become intrigued. And in the past month I've received a text from a guy inquiring whether he can get a look at the "princess room" to see it/experience it for himself.

It's true, I love the story of Cinderella, the girl who, despite hardships, maintains her optimism and spunk and in the end finds love and true happiness. That's what I'm looking for in my life and those figurines are a constant reminder of my quest. In addition, each figurine has been a gift a loved one like my parents or siblings has given to me and therefore I cherish each one of them. I can't hide them in the closet--that would be rude. And donating them to the Goodwill would be disrespectful. So I proudly display them.

When I visit my friends' houses, I look for their personality and what character defines them and usually I am left wondering. Where are the knickknacks, figurines, quirky things displayed? I usually only see the Pottery Barn inspired room that I helped create at my part-time job there as a sales associate. 

I hope someday to be able to pass on my passion for Cinderella to my daughter(s) along with the treasures I've received. I even have an entire tree full of ornaments designated the "princess tree" but I'll save that for another post. Through the ups and downs in my life, I use Cinderella's story as a metaphor to never giving up the dreams, hopes and habits that make me unique.

So I ask, do you have a "princess room?" Is there an area you've designated that holds items from your childhood you can't part with? Be it pictures, knickknacks, keepsakes? If so, where is it? If not, why?

No comments:

Post a Comment